I have been through A LOT of continuing education courses. I’m sure you’re thinking, yea, so have I. I really honestly do take a lot of courses. In fact, I’m working on my 15th ACE award.
I will definitely say that I’ve enjoyed some courses and thoroughly detested some courses. I have walked out of courses, vowed to never listen to certain speakers again and also vowed to see people any opportunity I have.
Some of the best courses I have attended so far:
- The McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Program (MDTP) through Procourse CEUs. I absolutely loved this course. Great information, a treatment technique that not only made sense and utilized exercise physiology, but also a technique that I can take with me and start the next day with nothing more than the cost of food to my department. Granted, I had to travel to Florida, but the trip and the course was WELL worth it!
- The Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile (MBSImP) through Northern Speech Services. I had completed hundreds of modifieds by the time I took this course. I can’t believe how much I learned. It was a great eye-opener to connecting the impairment to what I was viewing on the screen.
- Vitalstim by CIAO Seminars. Whether or not you like/use estim, this was a very thorough course. This course was my a-ha moment for the physiology of the swallow. There is such a thorough teaching of the physiology, musculature and kinematics of the swallow, this course is worth a look.
- Assessment and Treatment of Chronic Cough by Mary Sandage on Medbridge Education. This was a great course as so many patients come in for a modified with chronic cough and no oropharyngeal deficits. This course provided excellent techniques for assessment and treatment of cough.
- Pharmacology for Geriatric Patients on Medbridge Education. I like to think I know a lot about medication, but that is one area that is so difficult to stay current as medications change so often. This was a fantastic course examining medications in our elderly population.
- The Medical SLP Live Event. I just had to amazing opportunity to be a part of this event for the second year. What an amazing event!! Many people ask why the Medical SLP Collective and my response is the resource section, the monthly webinars and the clincher is the Live event. This is not just someone talking at you for 6-8 hours. This is 2 days of roundtables, led by a moderator with contributions from everyone at the table whether it be by questions or sharing their experiences. You should definitely take a look at the Medical SLP Collective.
- I just can’t stop……. The AmpCare-Effective Swallowing Protocol course for NMES, both online and live are phenomenal courses. The review of the anatomy and the cranial nerves makes the course one of the best! This may be the last one on this list right now, but do not wait to take this course!
I previously had the Critical Thinking in Dysphagia Management course on this list which was an amazing course, however it is sadly no longer available.